Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Water Reflections - Acrylic Painting


Taoist Proverb


"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see."

I've tried to meditate, but trying to shut down the conversations and thoughts that scamper through my mind is not an easy thing to accomplish; yet I can sit for hours watching the play of color and movement in a body of water without a single thought in my mind. 
I'm currently working on a group of small paintings featuring water reflections, some are from images that I shot purposefully but others were pleasant surprises that I found as I culled my photos.  I hope you enjoy my walk on the abstract side.


Abstract Water Reflection I

12" x 12" Acrylic on canvas



4 comments:

  1. Lovely painting Melodie. Good colour selection.

    I can't shut off my mind either, but maybe the watching water is a form of meditation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it is harder to shut down the mind when you are an artist. As an artist/photographer we are trained to see past the ordinary, to look deep to constantly be alert and aware of our surroundings. Yes I think you are right that watching water or fire can take you into that state of meditation.

      Thank you for stopping by Sue:)

      Melodie

      Delete
  2. Hi Melodie,

    Your art keeps getting better all the time.
    Wonderful work.

    Take care,

    José

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Jose! You know what they say....practice practice practice :)

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete