Friday, June 01, 2012

Painting Spaces


Work in Progress Lupins 24" x 20

When i'm painting with acrylics I prefer to paint in my kitchen rather then the downstairs studio.  The lighting is better, water is available and the coffee is handy for refueling.  The view is also much more inspiring, out the window I can see the forest, hear the birds chirping and the squirrels chattering.

I usually stand my canvases on the counter if they are larger sized, and pull out the tabletop easel if smaller.

I'm a pretty neat painter so I don't usually worry about getting paint splatters anywhere.  If i'm going to be doing any paint flinging I take it outside.

I have a wooden board that I place across my sink on which I place two heavy squares of glass that I use as my palette, once one is dirty I switch to the next.  I love using glass palettes, they are so easy to clean up.  I just pop them in the sink for a few minutes to soften up the paint, scrape off the paint with a painters putty knife and put it into a plastic container so that it's not going down the drain.

Out of sight is the clutter of a painter, tubes of paint, wiping rags, odds & ends it's a mess lol.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:42 PM

    Hi Melodie, I like how you explained how you paint. I see you use the computer as a reference. I just moved my studio space around yesterday so I could view my computer from my work table or easel. I like to stand when I paint and I find the computer image is so much better then a printed photo. Plus I save on ink. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, thanks for popping in. Like you I also stand as I paint, for a number of years I used to sit but when I started working with pastels I started standing and now stand when I do acrylics as well. What would we do without our computers it's so much easier to have the references right there on the screen no more scrambling around trying to find the reference hidden under a pile of painting supplies.

      Happy Creating to you!
      Melodie

      Delete